Visiting the Southern Ute Museum
- All exhibits and galleries are self-guided.
- Photography without flash is allowed unless otherwise directed by Museum staff.
- Food & drink are not allowed in the Museum galleries or gallery hallways.
- Restrooms are multi-stall bathrooms; a Family restroom with changing table is also available.
- Backpacks are not allowed in the Museum galleries exhibit and gallery areas; they may be left at the Welcome Desk.
- Pencils & writing paper are allowed in the galleries; pens are not allowed (due to ink).
- The facility is equipped to offer space for mobility challenges and child strollers.
- A wheelchair is available free of charge.
- Limited seating is available throughout the Museum galleries and gallery hallway.
Museum staff is available to answer any questions you may have. We want your visit to be easy and fun!
Behind the Scenes Guided Tour
Take advantage of an enhanced learning opportunity! Learn about the journey an item takes, once it enters the museum, to become a display in an exhibit case. The tours take place in Staff Only access areas, and are approximately 30-45 minutes, depending on the size of the group and the number of questions. Maximum of 10 individuals per guided tour; advanced registration is required.
Groups or individuals of 10 people or less:
$7 per person. One-day advance notice required for staff scheduling.
Tour Groups of 11 people or more:
$5.00 per person. Guided tours will occur in rotation for large groups. Two-weeks advance notice required for staff scheduling.
Behind the Scenes Guided Tours are limited to 9th grade/high school students. No charge. Appropriate grade-level worksheets or presentations can be provided for preschool, elementary, secondary, and home-school students. Two-weeks advance notice required for staff scheduling and programming.
In addition to the above, please contact the Southern Ute Museum at least three weeks in advance to reserve a date & time for group visits.
Local Points of Interest to Add to Your Visit
- Lake Capote, 35 miles from the Southern Ute Museum, 398 Highway 151, Pagosa Springs, CO 81147
- Sky Ute Casino Resort, .5 miles from the Southern Ute Museum, 14324 State Highway 172, Ignacio, CO 81137
- Chimney Rock National Monument, 33 miles from the Southern Ute Museum, 3179 State Hwy 151, Chimney Rock, CO 81121
- Mesa Verde National Park, 77.5 miles from the Southern Ute Museum, No. 1 Navajo Hill Mesa Verde National Park, CO 81330
- Jicarilla Apache Nation
- Historic towns of Pagosa Springs, CO, Durango, CO, and Chama, NM
- The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad
- The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad